In modern agricultural production fungicides and insecticides are used for protecting winter wheat seeds from fungal infections, differing in the amount and nature of active ingredients. Our study has been aimed at assessing the influence of multicomponent protectants on various growth parameters of winter wheat seedlings. The studies have been conducted in the laboratory using the roll method. Laboratory germination of seeds, the length, the raw and dry mass of seedlings and radicles, and seedling strength indices have been determined. Maxim XL, Insure Perform, Rancona I Mix, Lamardor Pro, Cantharis and Vibrance Integral have been used as protectants. Water treatment has served as a control measure. As a result of using all these protectants, there has been a decrease in laboratory germination of seeds and partial inhibition of their growth and accumulation of the dry matter by seedlings and radicles. It has been established that with the increase of the active substance amount in the tank mixture for the presowing seed treatment the seedling length decreases and its raw and dry mass decreases. Maxim XL, Insure Perform and Rancona I Mix have had the least harmful effect on these indices. The length of the root and its raw mass have been weakly dependent on the component composition of the protectants. With an increase in the amount of protectant active ingredients, there has been a tendency to reduce the dry mass of the roots (r = -0.73). As the amount of active ingredients in the protectant increased, the seedling strength indices decreased from 2054.36 to 907.50 for SVⅠ and from 2.12 to 0.77 for SVⅡ. The maximum positive effect from the presowing treatment of winter wheat seeds has been observed with the use of Maxim XL – the root length has increased by 4%, and the raw and dry mass of seedlings have increased by 9 and 11% respectively, compared to the control version. The seed treatment with Cantharis has reduced the laboratory germination index by 28% (rel.); the length of the seedling has been reduced by 64%, and the roots – by 20%; the raw and dry mass of seedlings have been reduced by 61 and 44%, and roots – by 16 and 50%, respectively, compared with the control. Based on this study, it has been concluded that increasing the number of active ingredients for the presowing treatment of seeds to 3 or more, it enhances the phytotoxical effect, which negatively affects the primary growth of plants.
Keywords: soft winter wheat, multicomponent protectants, presowing treatment, germination, seedlings, radicles.
- Bajbakova E. V., Nefed’eva E. Je., Belopuhov S. L. (2016). Issledovanie vlijanija sovremennyh protravitelej na vshozhest’ i rost prorostkov zernovyh kul’tur [Assessment of the influence of modern protectants on the germination of seeds and growth of seedlings of grain crops]. University News. Applied Chemistry and Biotechnology, 3(18), 57-64. DOI: 10.21285/2227-2925-2016-6-3-57-64.
- Benderradji, L., Kellou, K., Ghadbane, M., Salmi, M., Saibi, W., Benmahammed, A., Brini, F. (2016). Effects of Plant Growth Promoting Rhizobacteria (PGPR) on In Vitro Bread Wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) Growth Parameters and Biological Control Mechanisms. Advances in Microbiology, 6(9), 677-690. DOI: 4236/aim.2016.69067.
- Bensoltan, S., Youbi, M., Djebar, H., & Djebar, M. R. (2006). Effects of two systemic fungicides: Artea (Propiconazole+cyproconazole) and Punch (Flusilazole) on the physiology and the respiratory metabolism of durum wheat (Triticum durum L.). Commun Agric Appl Biol Sci, (71(3 Pt B)),1041-8.
- Berova, M., Zlatev, Z., & Stoeva, N. (2002). Effect of paclobutrazol on wheat seedings under low temperature stress. J. PLANT PHYSIOL., (28(1-2)), 75-84.
- Bilousova Z.V. (2018) Оcinka adapty`vnogo potencialu sortiv psheny`ci ozy`moyi (triticum aestivum l.) v umovax pivdennogo stepu Ukrayiny`. Еvaluation of adaptive potential of winter wheat (Triticum aestivum l.) varieties in the conditions of southern steppe of Ukraine. Scientific reports of NULES of Ukraine, 3(73), http://journals.nubip.edu.ua/index.php/Dopovidi/article/view/ dopovidi2018.03.013.
- Horii, A., McCue, P., & Shetty, K. (2007). Enhancement of seed vigour following insecticide and phenolic elicitor treatment. Bioresource Technology, 98(3), 623-632. DOI: 10.1016/j.biortech.2006.02.028.
- James Larsen, R., & Duane, E. (2013). Effects of a seed treatment with a neonicotinoid insecticide on germination and freezing tolerance of spring wheat seedlings. Canadian Journal of Plant Science, 93(3), 535-540. DOI:10.4141/CJPS2012-127.
- Kaly`tka V. V., Klipakova Yu. O., Zolotukhina Z. V. (2016). Vply`v regulyatora rostu rosly`n ta riznokomponentny`x protrujny`kiv na prorostannya nasinnya psheny`ci ozy`moyi (Triticum aestivum l.) [Influence of growth regulator in combination with compound treatment products upon seed germination of winter wheat (Triticum aestivum l.)]. Scientific Bulletin of the National University of life and environmental sciences of Ukraine, 235, 24-33.
- Klipakova Yu. O., Priss O. P. (2018). Vply`v peredposivnoyi obrobky` nasinnya na osinn`ozy`movy`j period vegetaciyi rosly`n psheny`ci ozy`moyi (Triticum aestivum l.) [Influence of presowing seed treatment on winterspring vegetation period of winter wheat plants (Triticum aestivum l.)]. Collection of scientific works of KhNAU, 1, 203-214.
- Kubiak, K. (2010). Effect of seed treatments containing fludioxonil, carboxin with thiram and tebuconazole on wheat growth in early development stages. Progress in Plant Protection, 50(4), 1801-1805.
- Kumar, B., Verma, S., Ram, G., & Singh, H. (2012). Temperature Relations for Seed Germination Potential and Seedling Vigor in Palmarosa (Cymbopogon martinii). Journal of Crop Improvement, 26(6), 791-801. DOI:10.1080/15427528.2012.689799.
- Laman N. A., Budaj S. I., Barnatovich O. Je. (2000). Prorashhivanie melkih, ploskih i dolgo prorostajushhih semjan rulonnym metodom s ispol’zovaniem sinteticheskoj ventiljacionnoj setki [Germination of small, flat and long germinating seeds by the roll method using a synthetic ventilation mesh]. News of the Academy of Agricultural Sciences of the Republic of Belarus,4,57-61.
- Marini, N., Tunes, L. M., Silva, J. I., De Moraes, D. M., Olivo, F., & Cantos, A. A. (2011). Carboxim Tiram fungicide effect in wheat seeds physiological quality (Triticum aestivum L.). Revista Brasileira de Ciências Agrárias, (6(1)), 17-22. DOI : 5039/agraria.v6i1a737
- Munkvold, G. P., & O’Mara, J. K. (2002). Laboratory and Growth Chamber Evaluation of Fungicidal Seed Treatments for Maize Seedling Blight Caused by Fusarium Species. Published by The American Phytopathological Society Plant Disease, 86(2), 143-150. DOI:10.1094/PDIS.2002.86.2.143
- Pavljuk N. T., Shencev G. D. (2016). Vlijanie protravitelej na posevnye kachestva semjan zernovyh kul’tur [Disinfectants influence on sowing qualities of grain crop seeds]. Voronezh State Agrarian University named after Emperor Peter the Great, 4, 21-25. DOI: 10.17238/issn2071-2243.2016.4.21.
- Perelik pesty`cy`div ta agroximikativ, dozvoleny`x do vy`kory`stannya v Ukrayini (2019) Yunivest Media, 592.
- Rangwala, T., Bafna, A., & Singh, V. (2013). Effect of Presence of Fungicide on Growth Parameters of Wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) Seedlings. Journal of Biological and Chemical Research, 30(2), 529-536.
- Sobolev, I., & Babichenko, S. (2013). Application of the wavelet transform for feature extraction in the analysis of hyperspectral laser induced fluorescence data. International Journal of Remote Sensing, (34 (20)), 7218-7235.
- Solodushko, M.M. (2013). Produkty`vnist` ozy`my`x ta yary`x zernovy`x kolosovy`x kul`tur v Stepu Ukrayiny`[Productivity of winter and spring grain cultivated cropsin the steppe of ukraine]. Bulletin Institute of agriculture of steppe zone NAAS of Ukraine,4, 18-22.
- Windham, A. S., & Windham, M. T. (2004). Chemical control of plant diseases. Plant Pathology. Concepts and Lab Exercises., 415-420.
- Yaroshenko, S. S. (2012). Vply`v protrujny`kiv nasinnya na produkty`vnist` psheny`ci ozy`moyi [Influence of seed products on the productivity of winter wheat] Bulletin Institute of agriculture of steppe zone NAAS of Ukraine,2,137-140.