UDC 635.657: 631.6
The aim of this work was to study the duration of growing season, as well as to study the features of formation of productivity of chickpea varieties depending on the seeding method and weather conditions of southern Steppe of Ukraine. The experimental part of the study was conducted in 2008-2010 yrs and in 2017-2019 yrs in the fields of the Mykolaiv region, which were located in the southern Steppe of Ukraine. Soil cover of experimental plot is represented by chernozem southern. Object of research were varieties of chickpeas: Rosanna, Pam’yat`, Triumph, Budzhak. The scheme of the experiment also included methods of seeding such as ordinary (15 cm) and wide-row (45 cm). Seeding rate: for solid crops – 0.6 million for wide-row – 0.4 million pieces of germinating seeds per 1 ha. The chickpea growing technology, with the exception of the elements that were studied, corresponded to the recommended one for the research area. The sown area of the plot of the first order is 75 m2, the accounting area is 50 m2. The frequency is three times, and the placement of sections is randomized. The research used generally accepted methods in crop production.
As a result of experimental studies and production testing of medium-ripened chickpea varieties, it was found that the duration of the growing season of plants and their productivity depended on the seeding methods. The longest growing season – 108–113 days was observed with a wide-row sowing method, and the shortest – with solid sowing crops (101–108 days). Correlation analysis showed a strong positive relationship between the duration of the growing season and the average daily air temperature during the growing season of chickpea (r = 0.89). The highest yield of chickpea varieties was formed in wide-row crops, while the increase in grain yield was 0.11 t/ha or 7.8% compared to solid crops. Precipitation and Sielianinov’s hydrothermal index (r = 0.73 and r = 0.75) had a great influence on the formation of the grain yield of chickpea, and the average daily air temperature (r = 0.80) had an effect on the accumulation of protein in the grain.
Keywords: chickpeas, meteorological conditions, growing season, productivity, variety, seeding method.
- Bushulian, O. V. and Sichkar, V. I. (2009). Nut: henetyka, selektsiia, nasinnytstvo, tekhnolohiia vyroshchuvannia [Nut: genetics, selection, seed production, technology of cultivation]. Odessa: N. p. [in Ukrainian]
- Knights, E. I., Acikgoz, A., Warkentin, T., Bejiga, G., Yadav, S. S. and Sandhul, I. S. (2007). Area, Production, Distribution. In: S.S. Yadav, R.J. Redden, W. Chen, B. Sharma (ed.) Chickpea Breeding and Management. Trowbridge: Cromwell Press, 167-79
- Sichkar, V. I. and Bushulian, O. V. (2001). Tekhnolohiia vyroshchuvannia nutu v Ukraini. [Сhickpea growing technology in Ukraine]. Propozytsiia. 10, 42–43 [in Ukrainian]
- Gaur, P. M., Tripathi, S., Gowda, C. L. L., Ranga Rao, G. V., Sharma, H. C., Pande, S. and Sharma, M. (2010). Chickpea Seed Production Manual. Patancheru 502 324, Andhra Pradesh, India: International Crops Research Institute for the Semi-Arid Tropics. 28 p.
- Hadzalo, Ya. M., Kyrychenko, V. V., Dziubetskyi, B. V. (2016). Stratehiia innovatsiinoho rozvytku selektsii i nasinnytstva zernovykh kultur v Ukraini. [Strategy for innovative development of selection and seed production of grain crops in Ukraine]. Kyiv – Kharkiv – Dnipro. 32 р. [in Ukrainian]
- Hermantseva, N. Y. (2001). Byolohycheskye osobennosty, selektsyia y semenovodstvo nuta v zasushlyvom Povolzhe [Biological features, selection and seed production of chickpeas in the arid Volga region]. avtoref. dys. na soyskanye nauch. stepeny d-ra s.-kh. nauk : spets. 06.01.09 «Selektsyia y semenovodstvo» / Rossyiskaia akademyia selskokhoziaistvennyikh nauk. Penza, 54 р. [in Russian]
- Miguelez Frade, M. M. and Valenciano, J. B. (2005). Effect of sowing density on the yield and yield components of spring-sown irrigated chockpea (Cicer arietinum) grown in Spain. New Zealand Journal of Crop and Horticultural Science, 33, 367-371.
- Dospekhov, B. A. (1985). Metodika polevogo opyta s osnovami statisticheskoi obrabotki resultatov issledovaniy [Methodology of field experience with the basics of statistical processing of research results]. Moscow: Kolos. 353 р. [in Russian]
- Wolf, V. G. (1966). Statisticheskaya obrabotka opyitnyih dannyih [Statistical processing the experimental data]. Moscow: Kolos. 134 p. [in Russian]
- Metodyka provedennia ekspertyzy ta derzhavnoho vyprobuvannia sortiv roslyn zernovykh, krupianykh ta zernobobovykh kultur [The method of examination and state testing of varieties of plants of cereals and legumes]. (2003). Kyiv: N. p., 2, 3, р. 191–204. [in Ukrainian]