3(79), Vol. 1, 2014
In the face of uncertainty and variability of market conditions, as well as very tough competition between producers, an essential element of economic security of enterprise is to plan the optimal product assortment, which requires manufacturers to make the right strategic decisions and choosing effective product line strategy.
At the present stage of development, there are many marketing options of assortment strategies. Depending on the strategic direction of the enterprise shareware assortment policy they can be grouped into three categories: 1) innovation strategy of the goods; 2) variations in product strategy; 3) the strategy of elimination product.
Update product or innovation in product portfolio is going towards differentiation and diversification. Differentiation is based on improving the attractiveness of the product due to its diversity. Conceptually differentiation is the development of different variants of commodity supply at two levels: between competitors for similar goods and between goods of one manufacturer targeted at different market segments. The strategy of diversification of product range is based on the idea of maximum possible expansion of product lines positions.
Variation (modification) of goods often is to change the external shape of the product, its packaging, and technical and performance properties. Subject variation may be physical and functional properties; aesthetic properties; market attributes of goods; additional services.
Strategy of elimination, i.e., removal of old product from the market, is imposed by the market and the demand for it. For removing the goods from the market, the following strategy of elimination is used
3) the concentration of effort;
4) enhancing product lines;
5) exclusion of product lines.
During studying the strategies of enterprise product lines, we have found that in practice it is advisable to use a set of several product policy strategies rather than each separately, as they complement each other. Also, we note that while most used in domestic enterprises are diversification strategy that enable companies to obtain sustainable competitive advantage and reduce risks.
1. Marketynh : navch. posib. / [S. I. Chebotar, Ya. S. Larina, O. P. Lutsii ta in.].– K : Nash chas, 2007. – 504 s.
2. Tsohla O. O. Stanovlennia dyversyfikatsiinykh protsesiv u diialnosti pidpryiemstv / O. O. Tsohla // Aktualni problemy ekonomiky – 2011. – #7. – s. 147 – 151.
3. Harkavenko S. S. Marketynh : pidruchnyk / S. S. Harkavenko. – K. : Libra, 2002. – 705 s.
4. Aaker D. Stratehycheskoe ryinochnoe upravlenye / D. Aaker ; per. s anhl. pod red. S. H. Bozhuk. – SPb. : Pyter, 2007. – 496 s.