The biochemical analysis of blood was carried out on bull calves of the Aberdeen Angus breed of British and Ukrainian origin. The research was carried out in conditions of a year-round outdoor breeding without premises in the Eastern region of Ukraine. According to the research data, the RBC level in blood of the bull calves of both groups increased by 6.0% in the summer in comparison with the winter season. The maximum increase in RBC level occurs within the age range from 8 to 12 months. This period is characterized by a high growth rate of experimental bull calves. According to the WBC level in the blood, the bull calves of the second group predominated over the first group bull calves by 2.3% during both seasons. Bull calves of both groups had a high haemoglobin concentration and a high WBC level in blood. This is due to the high resistance of experimental animals to severe climatic conditions and the system of keeping.
The content of crude protein in blood serum of bull calves during different seasons was almost the same. But there was some increase in the content of the crude protein, albumins and globulins in the blood of bull calves of both groups in the summer. This was due to the higher rate of metabolic processes in the bodies of bull calves during the summer season. Bull calves of the second group predominated over those of the first group according to the content of the crude protein and albumins in blood serum during both seasons.
During winter, increase in the total globulin content was observed in the blood of bull calves of both groups, in comparison with the summer season, which is due to the intense growth and development of bull calves during this age period. The content of α, β, γ-globulins in blood of bull calves of both groups was quite high. This was due to the activation of the protective body functions in adverse environmental conditions. The difference between these values among the bull calves tested was to the advantage of bull calves of Ukrainian origin.
Also, larger domestic animals had higher blood cholesterol level during both seasons than bulls of British origin. In the summer, the cholesterol level was high in blood of animals of both groups in comparison with the winter season. The high level of cholesterol during this period coincides with the age of high daily average live weight gains of bull calves and high energy metabolism.
Therefore, the bulls of both groups have good capacity of adaptation to the conditions of year-round outdoor breeding without premises in the East of Ukraine. But the bull calves of domestic origin had some advantage over the values of bull calves of British origin, which, in turn, contributes to a better fulfilment of the genetic potential of beef production by the young stock.
Keyword: Aberdeen Angus breed, haematological values, biochemical composition, blood, adaptation.
1. Shichkin D. G. Plemenny yeresursy i myasnaya produktivnost aberdin-angusskoy porodychernoy i krasnoymasti v zonepovolzhia: dis. … candidate s.-kh. nauk : 06.02.10 / Shichkin Dmitriy Gennadyevich. – p. Lesnyye Polyany. Moskovskayaobl. 2015. – 100 s.
2. Inter’jer siljsjkoghospodarsjkykh tvaryn / [J. Z. Siracjkyj, Je. I. Fedorovych, B. M. Ghopkatain.]. – K : Vyshhaosvita, 2009. – 280 s.
3. Gabidulin V. M. Gematologicheskiye pokazatelikrovi aberdin-angusskogo skota / V. M. Gabidulin, S. A. Alimova, M. V. Tarasov, N. V. Mishchenko // Vestnik myasnogo skotovodstva. – Orenburg. 2014. – № 4 (87). – S. 42 – 47.
4. Litvinov K. S. Gematologicheskiye pokazateli molodnyaka krasnoy stepnoy porody / K. S. Litvinov, V. I. Kosilov // Vestnik myasnogo skotovodstva. – 2008. – T. 1. – № 61. – S. 148–154.
5. Irgashev T. A. Gematologicheskiye pokazateli bychkov raznykh genotipov v gornykh usloviyakh Tadzhikistana / T. A. Irgashev, V. I. Kosilov // Izvestiya Orenburgskogo gosudarstvennogo agrarnogo universiteta. – 2014. – № 1 (45). – S. 89 – 91.
6. Normy i ratsiony kormleniya selskokhozyaystvennykh zhivotnykh : sprav. posobiye / [A. P. Kalashnikov i dr.]. : 3-e izd. pererab. i dop.]. – M. 2003. – 426 s.
7. Plokhinskiy N. A. Rukovodstvo po biometrii dlya zootekhnikov / N. A. Plokhinskiy. – M: Kolos. 1969. – 256 s.