ORCID ID: 0000-0002-5445-0571
ORCID ID: 0000-0001-8724-8890
The article deals with the problems of using mobile applications by business entities. The possibilities of obtaining additional benefits from the use of advanced web applications and hybrid mobile applications were analyzed. The main advantages and disadvantages of hybrid applications are determined and compared with native applications.
Using mobile applications to interact with customers makes the experience of using the service much more enjoyable due to deep personalization, high availability and smoothness of work. However, the native development of applications for different platforms is not always appropriate in view of the ratio of results obtained and spent resources.
The concepts of hybrid mobile applications and advanced web applications have many common features. We believe that within the next 5 years, PWA’s rapid growth will take place, as technology is much more attractive than traditional applications directly installed on the device.
Today, PWA has such disadvantages as limited access to native mobile APIs and low support. Given the foregoing, we believe that the development of hybrid mobile applications gives more benefits to entrepreneurs than the development of PWA. It should be noted that the Ionic Framework, in addition to the Android and iOS apps, can also collect progressive web applications, which makes the use of this tool most profitable under conditions of low resource availability.
A very promising framework is the React Native framework, which allows you to develop native applications without losing the possibility of cross-platform development. The use of this approach is much more rational than the technological point of view, but the entry threshold for React Native technology is much higher than in other frameworks, which in turn significantly increases the cost of development.
To sum up, it should be noted that the development of hybrid mobile applications has both advantages and disadvantages, so when choosing an approach to developing mobile software, the priorities for the application should be determined. For example, if an application needs to process large amounts of data, perform complex computing operations and provide maximum performance, then the hybrid applications and PWA should be discarded in favor of native software.
Keywords: mobile application, hybrid mobile application, progressive web application, smartphone, native, framework, cross-platform.
- Hybrid Mobile Application Retrieved from: bit.ly/2Jdk0PL [in English].
- Hybrid Android Apps (2016). Retrieved from: ly/2TLtKED [in English].
- Developing a hybrid mobile application with Ionic (2013). Retrieved from: ly/2VYGNQH [in English].
- Annual number of global mobile app downloads 2017-2022 (2019). Statista. Retrieved from: https://bit.ly/2zTtudv [in English].
- Global Commerce Review. Retrieved from: https://bit.ly/2AkZ5Re [in English].
- Average Time Spent per Day with Mobile Internet Among US Adults, In-App vs. Mobile Web, 2015-2019 (2017). eMarketer. Retrieved from: ly/2lKBO5B. [in English].
- Mobile App Cost Calculator. Retrieved from: ly/2AgRNlB. [in English].
- Mobile Operating System Market Share Ukraine. Retrieved from: ly/2HyPdKr. [in English].
- Fuller J. (2017). Infographic: Progressive Web Apps. The Future of Mobile. Retrieved from: bit.ly/2zLyAHx. [in English].
- Bhagat V. (2017). Benefits of Hybrid Mobile Apps for Small Businesses. Retrieved from: ly/2zSBBYz. [in English].