S. Lugovoy, PhD (Agr.), Ass. Professor
S. Kramarenko, DSc (Biol.), Ass. Professor
S. Galimov, PhD (Agr.), Ass. Professor
Mykolayiv National Agrarian University
The aim of this study was to analyze the genetic variability and population structure of the Red White Belted breed pigs. Twelve microsatellite loci were selected and belong to the list of microsatellite markers recommended by FAO/ISAG. The number of observed alleles (Na) detected ranged from 4 to 8, with an overall mean of 6.67 and a total of 80 alleles were observed at these loci. The overall means for observed (Ho) and expected (He) heterozygosities were 0.649 and 0.693, respectively. The population effective size (Ne) estimate based on LD-method is 59.2 (95% CI: 36-129) individuals. This population has not undergone any recent and/or sudden reduction in the effective population size and remained at mutation-drift equilibrium.
Key words: genetic polymorphism, microsatellite loci, pigs, the Red White Belted breed.
1. Genofond natsionalnykh porod sviney Ukrainy, ikh sozdateli i sovremennye koordinatory / [V. P. Rybalko, A. A. Getya, V. I. Gerasimov i dr.] // Poltava, Poltavskiy lіterator, 2011. – 156 s.
2. Bankovska I. Carcass, meat and fat quality characteristics of Ukrainian red white belted pigs compared to other commercial breeds // I. Bankovska, J. Sales // Slovak Journal of Animal Science. – 2015. – V. 48(1). – P. 23-28.
3. Peakall R. O. D. GENAIEX 6: genetic analysis in Excel. Population genetic software for teaching and research // R. O. D. Peakall, P. E. Smouse // Molecular Ecology Notes. – 2006. – V. 691. – P. 288-295.
4. Rousset F. GENEPOP’007: a complete re-implementation of the GENEPOP software for Windows and Linux / F. Rousset // Molecular Ecology Resources. – 2008. – V. 8. – P. 103-106.
5. Cornuet J. M. Description and power analysis of two tests for detecting recent population bottlenecks from allele frequency data / J. M. Cornuet, G. Luikart // Genetics. – 1996. – V. 144. – P. 2001-2014.
6. NeEstimator v2: re-implementation of software for the estimation of contemporary effective population size (Ne) from genetic data // [C. Do, R. S. Waples, D. Peel et al.] // Molecular Ecology Resources. – 2013. – V. 14. – P. 209–214.
7. Meuwissen T. H. E. Effective sizes of livestock populations to prevent a decline in fitness / T. H. E. Meuwissen, J. A. Woolliam // Theoretical and Applied Genetics. – 1994. – V. 89. – P. 1019-1026.
8. Genetic diversity of Brazilian pig breeds evidenced by microsatellite markers / B. P. Sollero, S. R. Paiva, D. A. Faria [et. al.] // Livest. Sci. – 2008. – doi:10.1016/j.livsci.2008.09.025.
9. Genetic variation and relationships of eighteen Chinese indigenous pig breeds / S. Yang, Z. Wang, B. Liu [et. al.] // Genetic Selection Evolution. – 2003. – Vol. 35. -P. 657-671.
10. Genetic diversity of some Ghanaian pigs based on microsatellite markers / R. A Ayizanga, B. B. Kayang, K. Adomako // Livestock Research for Rural Development. – 2016. – Vol. 28.
11. Zaman G. Molecular characterization of Meghalaya local pigs (Niang Megha) using microsatellite markers / G. Zaman, M. C. Shekar, A. Aziz // Indian Journal of Science and Technology. – 2013. – Vol. 6. – P. 5302-5306.
12. Molecular characterization of Ghungroo pig / G. Zaman, M. Chandra Shekar, A. M. Ferdoci [et. al.] // International Journal of Animal Biotechnology. – 2013. – Vol. 3. – P. 1-4.
13. Molecular characterization of Doom pigs using microsatellite markers / G. Zaman, S. Laskar, A. M. Ferdoci [et. al.] // African Journal of Biotechnology. – 2014. – Vol. 13 (30). – P. 3017-3022.
14. Genetic diversity in native and commercial breeds of pigs in Portugal assessed by microsatellites / [A. A. Vicente, M. I. Carolino, M. C. O. Sousa et al.] // Journal of Animal Science. – 2008. – V. 86. – P. 2496-2507.
15. Pedigree and population viability analyses of a conservation herd of Moura pig / [H. Carneiro, S. R. Paiva, M. Ledur et al.] // Animal Genetic Resources. – 2014. V. 54. – P. 127-134.
16. Pedigree analysis of Cinta Senese and Mora Romagnola breeds / [A. Crovetti, F. Sirtori, C. Pugliese et al.] // Acta agriculturae Slovenica. – 2013. – V. 4. – P. 41-44.
17. Conservation genomic analysis of domestic and wild pig populations from the Iberian Peninsula / [J. M. Herrero-Medrano, H. J. Megens, M. A. Groenen et al.] // BMC genetics. – 2013. – V. 14 (106). – P. 1-13.